Baked Pear and Ginger Custard
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.2 kg pears (beurre bosc or williams preferable)
100 gm caster sugar
2 tsp ginger, very finely grated
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
Zest of 2 lemons (with no pith), very finely grated
25 gm unsalted butter
250 ml thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Peel and core pears and cut into eighths. Place in a bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, add pears and cook over medium heat for 3 -4 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add ginger and lemon zest and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meantime, make the custard. Beat together the eggs and sugar in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add vanilla and cream and mix well.
- Spoon pears into 8 individual oven-proof ceramic dishes. Pour custard over pears, clean the rims, and place on an oven tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and just set.
- Serve warm on its own or topped with vanilla ice cream for extra indulgence.